Farewell, Alex Dunphy (Fennerman?). Thank you for being you.

Farewell, Alex Dunphy (Fennerman?).  Thank you for being you.
Farewell, Alex Dunphy (Fennerman?). Thank you for being you.

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

“It Happened To Me Again. Third Time (Un)Lucky.”

So, for those of you who wonder why I'm such a pessimist, I give you this morning's pre-show post as Exhibit No. 69,105, in which I didn't think an Alex-less episode was likely, as why being optimistic usually comes back to bite me in the, um, you know.

OK, I did trail off my last comment with a “but...”, and did use the word "medium" for the chance level, so it wasn't like I didn't see tonight coming.

And while my prediction of six Alex-less episodes almost certainly won't happen (with only four left she'd have to go missing in the next three, since she'll be in the finale, I think), in one sense I'm actually closer than I thought. I just needed to change the wording of my prediction a bit.

Instead of asking how many episodes Alex would not be in, if I had asked how many she would be in, the answer before the start of the season would have been 18 (the expected 24 episodes minus the 6 predicted Alex-less ones). Well, with the season down to 22 episodes, and with 3 Alex-less ones so far, that means at most she'll be in 19. And if either a) we get one more Alex-less episode (and there is still a possibility for that to happen next week, albeit far slimmer than this one), or b) we get stuck with a repeat on May 4th too (also unlikely, but...) then there's your 18.

(Of course, just to make me look like a fool again, watch both a) and b) happen, or a) twice.)

Having said all of that, when Claire mentioned how Alex was a good child (while all the other kids were in various degrees of trouble), did anyone else expect the ending being Alex coming in doing something totally unAlex-like (e.g. bringing home a boy while dressed more like Haley, or even more weird than that)?  On the other hand, that not being the ending really wasn't a bad thing given how often I've worried about Alex being due to actually get hit by one of those “bullets” she's been dodging the past two seasons.

On the bright side, this was the best of the three Alex-less episodes this season (so far?), although that doesn't really say much given the competition (“She Crazy” was bad, “Thunk In The Trunk” was better but still dull).  It was still quite funny, though.

Hmmm, for a non-recap I sure ended up saying a lot...

No comments:

Post a Comment