Farewell, Alex Dunphy (Fennerman?). Thank you for being you.

Farewell, Alex Dunphy (Fennerman?).  Thank you for being you.
Farewell, Alex Dunphy (Fennerman?). Thank you for being you.

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

“Bittersweet Symphony” (“American Skyper” Recap)

My feeling at the end of the night? Numb from disappointment.



Alex's graduation party story did have a couple of eye-moistening moments, particularly Gloria's speech about how Alex was the first family member to truly accept her, and then Alex telling Claire she didn't need to give her anything, and then instead inviting Claire to come with her to Europe this summer (I'd love for that to be part of the first episode of next season, but I doubt that will happen). And Mitch's scrapbook present was a nice touch.

But that was basically it. And the rest of the finale fell flat too (and at times it was scary – I'm not sure I want to see Haley try to win back Andy next season – who knows what Beth will do?)

And I was very, very disappointed we didn't end the show with a few words from Alex, but instead with a silly scene of Phil's robotic device falling down the stairs.

But it was nice to see Alex be excited about a trip to Europe – hopefully this means she won't spend the whole summer studying and will actually enjoy herself for part of it.

And so, now the long summer begins. But unlike last summer, where I could think excitedly about all the juicy possibilities how Alex's senior year would play out, this summer I will not have nearly as much enthusiasm in my daydreaming, as I have considerable doubt there will be much to look forward to in Alex's freshman year at CalTech. But more on than as summer passes.

And that's why I'm numb – given the uncertainty that lies ahead, I was hoping for something special to end this season on a high note. I just don't think I really got that.

Alex's Line Of The Night: ”You're (Claire) the last person who should give me anything. You got me here. You got me to graduation, to CalTech. You did it, and you're done.”

The funny thing is looking at those words on a computer screen doesn't do them justice – it was much more touching and heartfelt to hear the way Alex say those words than to merely read them.

One final thought: Luggage? Really?

No comments:

Post a Comment