Farewell, Alex Dunphy (Fennerman?). Thank you for being you.

Farewell, Alex Dunphy (Fennerman?).  Thank you for being you.
Farewell, Alex Dunphy (Fennerman?). Thank you for being you.

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

“Who I Am, Do I Fit In?” (“Spread Your Wings” Recap)

Well this one certainly had just about everything for Alex.

One very, very funny line in a funny first scene, a couple of emotional scenes with Phil, then a heartwarming finish (yes, seeing Alex jump into a pool wearing what presumably was her senior prom dress was heartwarming).



Not that it had a lot of competition (really only “The Last Walt” and “The Wedding, Part 1”, both good stories themselves), but tonight was easily the best story with Alex and Phil ever. And while I'm not sure yet where I'd rank it, the episode as a whole is at least a top ten (definitely the best one of the season).

That scene in the robotics exhibit was one of the funniest scenes involving Alex in quite a while (OK, Phil had a lot to do with that, but Alex had one of her best lines ever). But I would have thought Alex would have some idea how to turn off the master switch.

Then we went almost in the total opposite direction for the next two scenes, as we were back to Alex feeling like an outsider again, both on campus and, to a degree, at home.

I almost finally used a line from my favorite song, “Nobody's Home” as this post's title because of what was looking like a bit of reluctance from Phil about Alex coming back, at least in her eyes. It was a sad moment, but I'm still going to save using that song for another sadder time to come. In the end, I chose a line from a song called “Out Here On My Own” as it seemed more fitting to Alex's uncertainty about her life.

The scene between Alex and Phil in her dorm room was equally nice, however was anyone else wishing their hug lasted more than five seconds (it was actually less than that – I'm referring back to the time limit on hugs Alex set earlier this year)?

Alex was adorable in that prom dress. Not that she'll ever wear it again anyway (again, why wasn't her prom night a story last year?), but I hope she didn't ruin it by jumping into the pool.

And were those prescription goggles she was wearing?

I wonder what that ending means for the upcoming story in “The Storm”, with the return of Alex's roommate, Maisie – is Alex still thinking about moving back home and commuting, and that story will be their farewell? Or does her willingness to partake in that freshman ritual signal a change of heart, and that she'll stay on campus and Maisie will have a more recurring role?

(Obviously the answers to those questions would go a long way in determining how much we see Alex the second half of this season, but that's a topic for a later post.)

One thing I'm not sure of is if Alex moves back home, how exactly does she plan on commuting? As far as I know, she doesn't have a car of her own.

That we have to wait a month (or longer) for answers to these questions is exactly why I don't like that we're taking another long break again. On the other hand, just like after “White Christmas”, we go into it thinking about an amazing Alex moment (or two or three tonight).

I'm glad this story turned out to be more about Alex than Phil after all.

Alex's Line Of The Night: ”One of my professors taught a chimpanzee how to play the saxophone. We all think he's great, but, he only plays jazz so there's no way to tell.”   That was hilarious.

And, so, we're back in a holding pattern for the rest of the month (and about a third of February), and, presuming only 22 episodes, we're halfway through the season. My review of the second quarter will happen sometime during the break, but I'm not quite sure when.

No comments:

Post a Comment