Farewell, Alex Dunphy (Fennerman?). Thank you for being you.

Farewell, Alex Dunphy (Fennerman?).  Thank you for being you.
Farewell, Alex Dunphy (Fennerman?). Thank you for being you.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

“I Am A Rock. I Am An Island”

It's almost Halloween, and with it comes tonight's “It's The Great Pumpkin, Phil Dunphy”. Excuse me while I try not to keel over from excitement. At least we know Alex will be there (she has a small piece of Phil's story), but I doubt we'll feel any happier than Charlie Brown1.

Anticipation Level: Low. I'm not much of a Halloween fan in general as I've mentioned before, so I don't usually look forward to much of anything doing with the holiday, and a Modern Family Halloween episode is no exception. That Alex will likely not have much of a role only adds to my apathy.

The only reason this level isn't even lower is Ben is in it, which is at least a small wildcard. I'm guessing one and done tonight, and of course being Claire's assistant means he might only be in a scene at work (there is a brief scene in the promo commercial (see below) at Jay's company office which bolsters this possibility).

Emotional Moment Potential: Very Low. If there is any emotion at all in tonight's episode overall (the first four Halloween episodes have rarely had any), it doesn't figure to lie in the Dunphy story (maybe a group “aww” moment at the end at best). Yes, I've been burned before by a surprise “boyfriend breaks up with Alex” story before, but just like before “The Closet Case” I just don't think it will happen tonight (down the road's a much different story, and I still think Alex will be the instigator if/when that happens).


Besides, I think Mitch and Jay's story (they may have their first major confrontation since before the wedding four years ago) will probably take up what little emotion figures to show up tonight.

Game Changing Potential: Low. Again, this is only this high because Ben is there. I really have very little expectation tonight.

Are There Any Other Questions? So Alex was a major part of last week's story2, but was not in the promo commercial. This week, she's only a minor part of Phil's story yet she's in this week's promo commercial? I shouldn't complain, but isn't this a little bit backwards?

Anyway, here is that commercial:


________________________________________________________
1 Hence the use of a lyric with the word “rock”.

2 Yes, how much Alex was a major part of last week's story is debatable, but if last week's story turns out to be Alex's biggest of the season don't say I didn't warn you.

No comments:

Post a Comment