Farewell, Alex Dunphy (Fennerman?). Thank you for being you.

Farewell, Alex Dunphy (Fennerman?).  Thank you for being you.
Farewell, Alex Dunphy (Fennerman?). Thank you for being you.

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

“Noticing The Days Hurrying By. When You're In Love, My How They Fly.” (“Do You Believe In Magic” Recap)

I was looking for a lyric from a 1926 song for my title (the digits of that year combining their 2 ages – more on that in a moment) and I found one that may be fitting from a song written that year (“Blue Skies”) that's been covered many times and thus wasn't totally obscure (full disclosure though: I'd never heard of it).

OK, now that I've totally bored everyone...

So, are Alex and Ben in love? I'm not really sure. Ben seemed to back off when Alex started advancing to him from out of the blue, but he didn't exactly push away from her either (well, on the second kiss anyway). I guess we'll have to wait two weeks to find out for sure (or maybe not – he could still be just appearing in a random story at work without Alex being involved).

As for the age difference, 7 years isn't so bad (especially for this show) – that's the gap in age of my two parents who've been married quite a long time. I know Reuben's age is closer to Alex's1, but Ben isn't the creepy guy Reuben is, I hope. (By the way, I hope Ben is short for Benjamin, and not Reuben.)

Did anybody else think it would be Alex and Ben on the porch swing set under the sheets at the end of the show, leading to an awkward finish? If that does continue in two weeks it will be interesting to see if Alex keeps it a secret, and how Claire reacts if she doesn't/can't.

If we hadn't seen that kissing scene before tonight's episode aired, I would have felt I nailed it for a second when Alex accused Claire of sending those flowers in a misguided attempt to raise her spirits (I did say it would be cynical and Alex agreed with that). As it was, until Alex's picture showed up in Ben's desk, the possibility did exist in my mind that Jay might have sent them (for similar reasons).

In the end, I'm glad Alex is happy for a change – at least I think she's happy. Now if they can just come up with a story about her future.

(Wait – Alex did temp work at Jay's office during the summer? Why are we only hearing about this now? What job was she doing there? Is Alex considering becoming part of the family business instead of/on top of being a scientist?)

Alex's Line Of The Night: (when Phil couldn't fit the swing through the porch door) ”Let me guess – you built this inside and didn't measure the door?” For one of few times this season this wasn't a cut and dried choice – it was either that or Alex's rant to Claire about the flowers and the missing picture. This time I went with the funnier and snarkier of the two (IOW, kind of the good ol' days for Alex).

Fasten your seatbelts – we're still flying blind next week as of now.
________________________________________________________
1 As is Dwight's, but I doubt we'll see him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment