Farewell, Alex Dunphy (Fennerman?). Thank you for being you.

Farewell, Alex Dunphy (Fennerman?).  Thank you for being you.
Farewell, Alex Dunphy (Fennerman?). Thank you for being you.

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

“I Know It's Done For Me If You Steal My Sunshine” (“In Your Head” Recap)

Well, here I am - nasty head cold and all I'm still getting this recap out on time.  Too bad that's the good news.

For a few minutes before tonight's episode aired, I had the tiniest of hopes that things would go alright for Alex.

The man who played Alex's professor (Chris Geere) sent this tweet earlier this evening:


Now the key words to this tweet were “my first episode”, hinting that we will be seeing him again in at least one more episode.

So, would this mean a meaningful story that lasts longer than one week be in the cards for Alex after all?

Sadly, we got our answer soon afterwords – nope.

It turns out that this professor has eyes for Haley, even if at first she brushed off that idea. So I guess he wasn't as mad at her as we thought he'd be for interrupting his lecture.

In the end, Haley gets another dream job, perhaps a new boyfriend, and Alex gets embarrassed then basically ignored. In other words, basically, what I feared would happen tonight.

And that little green man in my head I mentioned this morning wonders what will happen to Alex if this relationship falls apart – will the professor take out any bad feelings about Haley on Alex, making her grade in this course suffer?

And might not this happen anyway if all goes right – because he's with Haley does he put Alex's work under a microscope, possibly to head off any appearances of favoritism?

Similarly, I hope Alex doesn't end up regretting leaving that lecture just to get Haley out of the room. I fear she might have missed something important in what was left in that lecture – she might want to hope the professor recorded that lecture and she can catch up – given she's already borderline persona non grata with regards to her fellow students (e.g. her solving that problem in “The Long Goodbye”) I doubt they will help her much.

As much as I feel like Alex has gotten the short end of the stick this season (even more so than usual), tonight took things to an even lower level. And I don't think Alex has hit rock bottom yet. I feel like it might be time to write a new “yes this is just fiction” column this weekend. Or maybe something else...

Alex's Line Of The Night: (realizing her professor has a thing for Haley) ”I think I'm gonna pass out.”

You're not the only one, Alex. Of course I also have this head cold to help make that happen.

I'm almost glad it's going to be at least three weeks from now before we find out where this goes. I don't have a good feeling about it as far as Alex is concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment