Farewell, Alex Dunphy (Fennerman?). Thank you for being you.

Farewell, Alex Dunphy (Fennerman?).  Thank you for being you.
Farewell, Alex Dunphy (Fennerman?). Thank you for being you.

Wednesday, January 10, 2018

“I Never Can Say Goodbye” (“Dear Beloved Family” Recap)

At the first commercial break, I fired off this tweet (sorry – I'm going to make you jump past “Read more” this time to see it):




As it turned out, with no real direct drama about Phil's plight, the answer wound up being the latter.

Please tell me that will not be a game-changing moment for Alex (i.e. she descends into a life of a crazy single cat lady). That definitely goes into the “makes me mad “ “Poor Alex” column.
And that was basically all they had for Alex tonight – her feeding a few stray cats as a “date” (I forgot the quotes in the tweet), and not even giving her a chance to say anything meaningful to Phil.

Alex at least did get off one choice shot at Haley:

Alex's Line Of The Night: ”I'm putting kettle bells in your coffin.” The fact that I'm putting a funny line here instead of a sad line (that never happened) speaks volumes about tonight.

So yes, that was somewhat disappointing, again1, if not downright insulting. And I expect more disappointment next week when Alex probably won't even escape being an afterthought while a story plays out at CalTech.
________________________________________________________
1 Actually, I can say the same about the episode in general – It had some very good moments but also there were so many scenes which seemed totally set up for emotional moments that never quite came – especially involving little Joe. I really wanted to cry as he struggled with the idea he would die someday, but they always abruptly went elsewhere just as it was about to get really sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment