Farewell, Alex Dunphy (Fennerman?). Thank you for being you.

Farewell, Alex Dunphy (Fennerman?).  Thank you for being you.
Farewell, Alex Dunphy (Fennerman?). Thank you for being you.

Wednesday, January 22, 2020

“Whoa, I Never Meant To Brag” (“Dead On A Rival” Recap)

No, it's definitely not me bragging – not only was I wrong about Alex not being there tonight (of course that's not a bad thing1), but unlike what I also thought this morning might happen she was the only female Dunphy not offered a job by Phil's ex-neighbor turned tech guru.

But Alex does have at least something about which to brag – she's been with this company (about which we still know very little) for only a couple of months and she's already hiring and firing assistants.  And, if she follows through with Jay's suggestion, after dismissing Margaret she might just have a hunky guy as an assistant.  Hopefully he really is the best candidate – I want her to hire someone who can be a good assistant to her.

As for the story itself, it wasn't the most consequential one we've ever seen for Alex, and pairing her with Jay's long-time assistant Margaret was rather random.   I would like to think we'll see at least one more story with Alex at her office (and find out just what her job is) that has a lot more impact on her life, but with only five episodes left (not counting the one that's set in Paris) I don't like the chances for that.

But it was a sweet little story, and I liked that Alex was at least gentle with Margaret when she did have to fire her.  Plus, again I thought we weren't going to see Alex tonight, so any screen time was a bonus anyway, And she had a few on-screen moments away from her family for a change2.  The story did drift a bit away from her at the end to Jay and Margaret's relationship, but she was far from being just a piece of the scenery at her office.

Although I'm a little wary of the fact that Alex knew it was bourbon that Margaret put in her coffee.  And I'd prefer a steak to a salad.3

Alex's Line Of The Night: ”I definitely have to carve out some extra time for giggling.”  I guess interacting with guys from Stanford has that effect on Alex – perhaps it was a good thing after all she didn't go to Stanford with Sanjay – she probably would have giggled herself to death...

Next week's a repeat (the Alex-less “Tree's A Crowd”), and there's no word what the plan is for February 5th (the Paris episode is on the 12th).  So there will be at least a one week break and probably two before the next new episode.  I know there will be one post I'll be more than happy to make before that.
________________________________________________________
1 That is, at least as long as she's not being thrown under the bus by her family.

2 Of course the way Jay was talking to Margaret at the end in his own mind he considers her a part of the family, to a degree. And, no, I'm not talking about the little joke about Mitch – I mean he's know her about as long as almost anyone else in his actual family.

3 That may not be saying a lot – there's tons of foods I wouldn't eat on a dare that I'd prefer over eating a salad. And Steak Diane would be one of them – I want just the meat without the fancy sauces.

No comments:

Post a Comment