Farewell, Alex Dunphy (Fennerman?). Thank you for being you.

Farewell, Alex Dunphy (Fennerman?).  Thank you for being you.
Farewell, Alex Dunphy (Fennerman?). Thank you for being you.

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

“I Get The Message” (“Connection Lost” Recap)

I guess in the end I was about 75% wrong about this episode – while the computer screen gimmick was overwhelming at times (but in fairness at other times it played quite well with the story), the story itself was very, very good and more than made up for those moments. It wasn't quite as much of a “better than I had any right to expect” episode as the wedding episode(s) were last year but it wasn't far off.

Now, on to Alex:


One of the few problems I did have with this episode had nothing to do with the episode itself, but just in how haphazard* the episode order has become. Why was Alex still working on a college essay in late February? Well, if you looked closely at the closing credits, you would have seen the production code was “6arg12”, meaning this was actually the 12th episode produced, which if run in order would have placed it in mid-January. That still might have been a little late for a college essay (remember she was working on one way back in April last year in Australia), but certainly more plausible than now.

At least it wasn't her essay to Princeton (see below)...

Wait a minute – why am I complaining about even a small advancement of her college story???

Between Haley getting into a fight with Claire as the trigger for the whole episode, and Luke's mohawk, I'm surprised there wasn't a “pipe bomb” moment for Alex, too. I'm just not sure if I'm good surprised or bad surprised.

And if it weren't Alex I'd probably hang my head in shame for this, but I loved that smug smile she had when the pregnancy book arrived.

Alex's Line Of The Night: (concerning Dylan's sharing of his brain) ”Who has it now?” This was probably the funniest line Alex has had all season.

And for those who couldn't read it fast enough (I couldn't – I froze it from my DVR recording), here's the part of what Alex wrote for her essay that we can see (from the tag scene):

"Nietzsche believed that most culture exists purely to distract us from the truth. If he is to be believed, then the context of our experience matters little compared to the content of our experience. For this reason, I believe Yale will provide the best possible opportunities to expand as a scholar, pupil and person. No institution, however dedicated and prestigious, can instill a desire for betterment where none exists and I know you're not reading this, mom. If allowed to join the student body, I will diligently strive to make the most of every advantage, both in school and beyond campus.

This is not to say I lack hobbies. In addition to graduating in the top two-percent of my class, I have also participated in many extracurricular activities. I followed my love of the cello to join a quartet three years ago. My interest in renewable energy drove me to enter the Annual Pasadena Robotics Competition in 2010, build my own small robot, and compete as that year's youngest female one-person team. In addition, I have co-captained numerous Mathlete and Mock Trial teams, and spent my free periods as a teachers' assistant.

If admitted, I am certain my varied interests will find a prosperous foothold at Yale, whether through my fellow students or honored professors. I aspire to one day say that”


That's all that appears on Claire's screen.  Either that or Peter Van Houten is ghostwriting for Alex.  I will say more about this partial essay later this weekend (probably a lot more), but feel free to comment on your own.

*Last week's episode was 6arg18 – six episodes later in production order than tonight's.

No comments:

Post a Comment