Farewell, Alex Dunphy (Fennerman?). Thank you for being you.

Farewell, Alex Dunphy (Fennerman?).  Thank you for being you.
Farewell, Alex Dunphy (Fennerman?). Thank you for being you.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

“These Are The Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking” (“The Graduates” Recap)

Yes, that's a weird lyric for this post, but I'll get to that later.

So that big emotional moment for Alex wasn't all that big (it lasted barely a couple of seconds) and had nothing to do with Luke making a speech and saying nice things about her (I'm assuming he still made a speech as Senior Class President but we never got to see it). So, I guess we can fittingly say Alex's year ended with a whimper.

But, although as expected Alex's role in the finale wasn't much (other than a very nice touching, albeit a bit manipulative, moment of her and Haley trying to get Phil all cried out about Luke graduating before the ceremony), there was one weird thing that did come out of tonight concerning her (no, not the fact she was conceived in a hotel in Disneyland – that's more TMI than weird).

In the midst of the story about Lily potentially skipping 5th grade next year because she had become so smart, Claire mentioned that she and Phil considered doing the same with Alex but decided against it.

SCREEEEEEEEECH!!!!1

Wait, what? Since Alex turned 16 in her junior year, I always assumed that she had to have skipped a grade in school, probably before the show started in 2009 (most kids turn 17 at some point in their junior year, unless they were born during the summer).

So now it looks like she hasn't? How old do they expect us to believe Alex is now?

As enjoyable as watching this show has been (yes, even sometimes when Alex isn't there) I've always felt that it has problems with continuity. Tonight that was glaring, if you knew where to look.

I guess it's still possible that Alex took things into her own hands and made the decision herself to skip a grade – she does have an independent streak in her. But I also think Claire would have mentioned that, so...

It looks like Eddy's been messing around in the time-space continuum again2...

Anyway, that's the end of that rant – I'll have a much longer rant sometime in the next few days when I review Alex's Season 8 (be forewarned – I plan on that one being a doozy).

Alex's Line Of The Night: (referring to the “shock proof” watch Luke got as a graduation present) ”Oh good – you can show it your grades.” Yeah, I know – been there, done that (just last week). But, again Luke had it coming.

And that's a wrap for the season. As I said I'll review how I felt things went for Alex either this weekend or mid-week. You probably can already guess where that will go.
________________________________________________________
1Sorry, that's my best imitation of a car slamming on its brakes.

2 Hence my using a hitchhiking reference in the post title. You may now strike one great unanswered question off your list.

No comments:

Post a Comment